Just when one thought ships couldn’t get any better, writes John Pond, Royal Caribbean International unveils the first details of the next generation of cruise vacations – Quantum cruising.
“Australians love Royal Caribbean and with ships like Quantum of the Seas on the horizon, I am sure that will continue.”
Gavin Smith, RCI Australia MD
The Quantum class of ships has taken a dramatic leap forward, introducing more game-changing ‘firsts at sea’. These include a skydiving experience, cutting-edge transformative venues such as the largest indoor sports and entertainment complex at sea,and the cruise line’s largest and most advanced staterooms ever with the industry’s first virtual balconies. Every stateroom on Quantum of the Seas will have a view!
I spoke with Australian boss of Royal Caribbean Gavin Smith, who said; “Quantum of the Seas will redefine the way consumers from all over the world will consider cruising. “Royal Caribbean International has once again demonstrated its leadership in ship design and I can tell you that our offices have already received enquiries for details of how they can get onboard to enjoy this ground breaking ship. “Australians love Royal Caribbean and with ships like Quantum of the Seas on the horizon, I am sure that will continue.”
UNPRECEDENTED ‘FIRSTS AT SEA’
Having led the industry by introducing incredible signature offerings such as the rock-climbing wall, ice-skating rink, FlowRider surf simulator, Central Park and AquaTheatre, Royal Caribbean will advance the onboard experience even further by delivering a ground-breaking line-up of ‘firsts at sea’ on Quantum-class ships. New features exclusive to Royal Caribbean include:
- RipCord by iFly – the first skydiving experience at sea which allows everyone from first-time flyers to seasoned skydivers to enjoy the sheer thrill and exhilaration of skydiving in a safe, controlled, and simulated environment.
- North Star – an engineering marvel, takes guests to new heights, literally, with a jewel-shaped, glass capsule, transporting them on a spectacular journey more than 300 feet above the ocean and over the sides of the ship to deliver awe-inspiring 360-degree views.
“We are excited to be introducing major advancements in ship design and offerings on Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas,” said Adam Goldstein, President and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “The innovative spirit of our brand is alive and well, and with Quantum class, we will deliver more unexpected activities in the most extraordinary spaces. “Our guests should prepare to be wowed.”
NEW TRANSFORMATIONAL SIGNATURE VENUES
With Quantum class, Royal Caribbean marries new innovations with significant architectural design elements to introduce spectacular spaces. On Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas guests will find endless possibilities with three new signature venues.
- A revolutionary concept, Two70° is a multi-level room that is sure to become one of the most iconic venues onboard Quantum class. The space is aptly named for its magnificent 270-degree panoramic sea views through vast, floor-to-ceiling glass walls spanning almost three decks at the stern of the ship. Two70° provides a modern and comfortable living room space for guests to relax and as the sun sets and the lights go down, the dazzling space gradually reveals its evening persona, delighting guests with spectacular, mysterious and unexpected entertainment at night. Unparalleled technology means every show at Two70° is multidimensional and immerses the audience through a combination of live performers, including aerialists, as well as breathtaking video and digital scenery.
- The largest indoor active space at sea, SeaPlex is a distinctive and flexible sporting and entertainment venue with new features that will inspire guests of all ages to let loose and connect with their playful sides. Guests can experience a circus school with flying trapeze, or play basketball on a full-size regulation basketball court. By night, the first-ever bumper car and roller skating offerings deliver fun and excitement. Or, guests can dance to music orchestrated from a floating DJ booth which hovers above the activity below.
- A performance hall and the hottest live-music venue on Quantum class, Music Hall is the place for guests to enjoy intimate and exclusive access to live performances, DJs, theme night parties, billiards and more. Rebellious and edgy, Music Hall’s two-story design is inspired by the spirit of rock and roll.
“Quantum of the Seas will redefine the way consumers from all over the world will consider cruising.”
Gavin Smith, RCI Australia MD
THE NEXT GENERATION OF STATEROOM ACCOMMODATIONS
With guest comfort and convenience in mind, Royal Caribbean debuts the most spacious and luxurious accommodations ever, introducing rooms that on average are nine per cent larger than those of Oasis class ships. Sophisticated, upscale design, layouts and finishes create a home away from home. Boasting Royal Caribbean’s new smart design concept, each stateroom features contemporary designs with easy-to-use customisable layouts and intuitive larger storage solutions.
- Now, every room on Quantum of the Seas has a view, with the exciting introduction of Virtual Balcony staterooms. This design concept brings virtual balconies to interior staterooms offering expansive real-time views of the ocean and exciting destinations.
- For multi-generational families, family-connected staterooms deliver more flexibility, using three different stateroom categories which connect to form a special layout that provides separate bedrooms and bathrooms for all. These accommodations allow families and groups of friends traveling together to enjoy the best of both worlds when it comes to together and alone time.
With Quantum of the Seas, Royal Caribbean introduces the largest variety of stateroom categories, including new Studio staterooms, some with balconies for single travellers, three Junior Suite categories and larger Loft Suites.
SIGNATURE FEATURES RETURN AND MORE NEW SURPRISES TO COME
The adults-only solarium, along with an outdoor pool, a new indoor pool with operable roof and a H2O Zone kids’ aqua park, will be featured on the top deck. Signature Royal Caribbean venues and experiences popular with families such as the rock-climbing wall; FlowRider surf simulator; the award-winning Adventure Ocean children’s program, the Royal Babies and Tots Nursery, and the DreamWorks entertainment and events featuring the characters from animated movies such as Shrek, Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar, will all be back on Quantum class.
Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas also will make a quantum leap forward in its culinary offerings providing the most flexible dining options and more specialty restaurants than ever before.
Quantum class will debut in autumn 2014 (northern hemisphere) with Quantum of the Seas, followed by her sister-ship Anthem of the Seas in spring 2015 (northern hemisphere). Quantum ships span 18 decks, encompass 167,800 gross registered tons, carry 4,180 guests at double occupancy and feature 2,090 staterooms. Quantum of the Seas will sail out of the New York Harbor from her homeport of Cape Liberty on 7- to 12-night itineraries during the winter 2014/15 (northern hemisphere) season. Bookings will be available to Crown & Anchor Society loyalty program members starting May 27, 2013 before opening to the general public on June 4. More information on Quantum of the Seas is available at www.RoyalCaribbean.com/Quantum.
I particularly applaud the addition of Studio Staterooms – a real boon for single cruisers.